Monday, February 25, 2008

Built-In Seating

Built-In Seating


Built-in seating is making a comeback. I’ve had a few clients request help getting kitchen booths built. I happen to like the warmth that they bring to a kitchen, not to mention the efficient use of space. Somehow I feel like a built-in style booth encourages people to linger. One tip: make sure the person who builds and upholsters this type of piece is a professional. The last thing you want is an uncomfortable booth. (Note: I have clipped images from many shelter magazines for years. I wish I could go back an identify all of the genius designers and their publishers, but I never expected to post these images one day. I will always give credit when I possibly can.)




Madden created this quaint country nook. I had to include the photo of the dogs enjoying it too. I like the idea of matching the upholstered chairs to the fabric on the bench. Photo courtesy House Beautiful July 04





This built in designed by Tres McKinney fits neatly underneath the window sill. This set up is slightly more formal than the others I’ve shown. The wooden legs that match the chairs add to the formality, as do the channels designed in the upholstery and the fabric itself.





I love the styling in this image. It looks comfortable… but truth be told, built-in seating typically works best with pedestal tables. Photo courtesy Traditional Home Oct 07




This is a built-in we designed and had built for a client. It really helped to warm up the space and make it feel more cozy. Photo Jenny Bova Associates, Inc.