Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Inspiration



Inspiration, for me, comes from many places. When I feel like I'm not quite connecting on a creative level or I lose the energy that comes from an initial creative vision, I have places I go to get myself back in the groove. My library is one of my first stops. I keep books about many creative disciplines, from fashion to dance and everything in between. One of my absolute favorite designers was Yves Saint Laurent who passed away in June. I've gone back to David Teboul's book about him on many occasions when I needed a creative jolt. I thought I'd share a few photos from this book that exhibit only a sliver of this man's creative genius. If you remotely like fashion or consider yourself a creative or visual person- at all- you should own this book. It's a commentary, both visually and with some text, on Saint Laurent's process and his high standards for classic cut and tailoring. This man was a true couturier who elevated and changed the face of fashion forever. I was so sad when I learned of his death last June.



Sketches under the foot of a model in YSL's atelier.




A model poses in this amazing room in the atelier. The dress is pretty great too....



A series of sketches and fabric swatches exhibit just one part of the process of creating a runway collection.


The cover of David Teboul's book. Purchase it at Amazon. All photos shown are from the book.