Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Glorifying the Closet

The closet is so frequently just an afterthought of an otherwise well designed home.... but not in these three. I searched to find several others and came up shy, which is not to say they don't exist. I'm sure I'll do an update. It's a simple fact that the closet must be well thought out in order to function for the particular person or people. The idea that everything has a place and that you can really see most all of it is so basic but so overlooked these days. The common features that I love are the chandeliers, the center tables or islands, and the seating or chaises. Granted, most of us don't have the luxury of such space for a closet (don't complain to me, I lived in NYC for 10 years) but it's such a nice inspiration to make the space we do have beautiful and functional. Don't just shut the door... make it a place you can't wait to show off.

Above: Closet designed by Robert Couturier.

Above: Oprah's closet designed by Nate Berkus. Image courtesy Nate Burkus' book Home Rules.


Above: Closet designed by David Jiminez. Image courtesy of House Beautiful.